The Back Tap feature allows users to perform specific actions, such as taking a screenshot, opening an app, or triggering accessibility shortcuts, by double or triple-tapping the back of their iPhone 14 Pro. However, some iPhone 14 Pro users have reported issues with the back tap feature, including it not working or being unresponsive. This problem can be frustrating, especially for users who rely on this feature to perform various tasks on their iPhone 14 Pro. In this article, I’ll explain why back tap is not working on your iPhone 14 Pro and show you how to fix the problem for good!
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Why is Back Tap Not Working on iPhone 14 Pro?
Here are some reasons why the back tap feature may not be working on your iPhone 14 Pro:
- Software issue: If there is a software glitch or bug on your iPhone 14 Pro, it may cause the Back Tap feature to malfunction.
- Hardware issue: The back tap feature relies on the sensors in your iPhone 14 Pro to detect taps, so if there is a problem with the sensors, the feature may not work. This could be due to physical damage to the phone or a manufacturing defect.
- Incorrect setup: If the back tap feature is not set up correctly on your iPhone 14 Pro, it may not work as expected.
- Case interference: If you have a case on your iPhone 14 Pro, it may be interfering with the back tap sensors.
- User error: It’s possible that the back tap feature is working as intended, but you are not tapping the back of your iPhone correctly.
How to Fix Back Tap Not Working on iPhone 14 Pro Issue
1. Make sure back tap is enabled on Your iPhone 14 Pro
Before you try any other troubleshooting steps, make sure that back tap is actually enabled on your iPhone 14 Pro. Also make sure you have set up the desired action(s) for single and double taps. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Select Touch.
- Choose Back Tap. Make sure the toggle switch is turned on. If the toggle switch is off, turn it on. Tap Double Tap or Triple Tap and choose an action. Now try using back tap again.
2. Update your software
If you’re running an older version of iOS, the back tap feature may not work properly. Thankfully, Apple regularly releases software updates to fix known issues and improve the performance and functionality of iPhones.
When you update your iPhone 14 Pro software, the new update may include fixes for bugs or issues related to the back tap feature. This can help to resolve any underlying software-related issues that are preventing the feature from working correctly.
To update your iPhone’s software, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on ”General.”
- Tap on ”Software Update.”
- If an update is available, you will see an option to ”Download and Install.” Tap on this option to begin the update process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software update.
After the update is complete, check to see if the back tap feature is working correctly. If the problem persists, move on to the next solution.
3. Remove your case
If you’re using a case on your iPhone 14 Pro, it’s possible that the back tap feature isn’t working because your case is interfering with the sensors on the back of your device. The sensors on the back of the iPhone 14 Pro use accelerometers and gyroscopes to detect taps and double taps, so any obstruction to these sensors can cause back tap to malfunction.
If you’re experiencing issues with back tap and you’re using an iPhone case, remove the case and try using back tap without it. If back tap works without the case, then the case is likely the issue.
If you still want to use a case with your iPhone 14 Pro and have back tap functionality, try using a thinner case. Thinner cases are less likely to obstruct the sensors on the back of your iPhone.
4. Restart your iPhone
Restarting your iPhone is a basic yet a powerful troubleshooting step that can often help to resolve software-related issues, including problems with the back tap feature. This is because restarting an iPhone clears the device’s memory and stops all background processes, which can help to refresh the system and fix any minor glitches or bugs that may be affecting the back tap feature.
To restart your iPhone 14 Pro, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Side button and either of the Volume buttons on your iPhone until the ”Slide to power off” slider appears.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn off your iPhone.
- Wait a few seconds for your iPhone to shut down completely.
- Press and hold the Side button again until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Release the Side button and wait for your iPhone to restart.
Once your iPhone 14 Pro has restarted, try using the back tap feature again to see if the problem has been resolved. If the back tap is still not working on your iPhone 14 Pro, move on to the next troubleshooting step.
5. Reset All iPhone Settings
If the Back Tap feature is still not working, try resetting all settings on your iPhone 14 Pro. Resetting the settings on your iPhone can fix certain issues that may arise due to conflicts or errors in the software. This process will erase your device’s customized settings and restore them to their default settings, without affecting any data or content on your iPhone.
In the case of the back tap feature, resetting the iPhone 14 Pro settings may help fix any issues related to the feature’s configuration or sensitivity settings. For example, if the back tap feature is not working as intended or is accidentally triggering too frequently, resetting the iPhone 14 Pro settings can restore the feature’s default settings and potentially resolve the issue.
Here’s how to reset your iPhone Settingss:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Select Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Reset All Settings.
- Enter your passcode if prompted, then tap Reset All Settings again to confirm.
Once your iPhone 14 Pro has finished resetting all settings, try using the back tap feature again to see if the problem has been resolved. If the back tap feature is still not working, try the next troubleshooting step below.
6. Disable and re-enable back tap
If back tap is enabled but still not working on your iPhone 14 Pro, try disabling it and then re-enabling it.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Accessibility.
- Choose Touch.
- Select Back Tap and turn off the toggle switch. Wait a few seconds, then turn the toggle switch back on. This will reset the feature and may fix any issues with back tap.
7. Contact Apple Support
If none of the above steps have resolved your issue with back tap, it’s possible that there’s a hardware issue with your iPhone 14 Pro. Contact Apple Support for assistance. Apple may offer to repair or replace your device, depending on the warranty status of your iPhone 14 Pro. You may need to schedule an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician.
Fixed Back Tap Not Working on iPhone 14 Pro Issue!
if Back Tap is not working on your iPhone 14 Pro, ensure that Back Tap is enabled in your phone settings and that you have selected the actions you want to perform. If Back Tap is enabled, but still not working, try restarting your iPhone or updating to the latest iOS software version. If the issue persists, try resetting your iPhone’s settings or contacting Apple support for further assistance.
It is important to note that Back Tap may not work with certain phone cases that may interfere with the touch sensitivity of the back of the device. By following these solutions, you can troubleshoot and fix Back Tap not working on your iPhone 14 Pro and continue to use this convenient feature to simplify your device usage.