Some users have reported that their iPhone 15 Pro cellular connection is not working as expected even when they are in an area with good cellular reception. With this particular problem, the cellular data connection keeps getting lost even though the cellular status icons (like 3G, 4G,5G or LTE) and the signal strength bars show it is connected to a cellular network.
Are you experiencing this problem too? Then this article is for you. This can be an important problem. If your iPhone 15 Pro cellular data is not working, you won’t be able to connect to the Internet unless there is Wi-Fi. If you are having this issue, you may get “Network Error” or “Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network” types of error messages as you use your iPhone in a way that requires a cellular connection. In this article i’ll explain how you can fix this problem.
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.
Signs of this iPhone 15 Pro cellular data issue:
Unless you are connected to Wi-Fi, you may experience the following:
- Apps that require an Internet connection won’t work. For example, you won’t be able to send or receive emails or load websites in Safari.
- Texts, including iMessages and SMS messages, won’t work.
- Phone calls will not work. You won’t be able to make or receive calls.
- You may see a No Service or Searching notification.
How to fix iPhone 15 Pro cellular data not working issue
Please try the steps below until your problem is resolved:
1. Turn on and off Airplane Mode
Sometimes the most obvious fix is the most reliable one. If your mobile data is giving you trouble, one of the first things you should try is turning airplane mode on and off.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Airplane Mode to turn the feature on.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Tap Airplane Mode to turn the feature off.
2. Update iOS
If the above solution didn’t work, updating to the latest available version of iOS can often help in cases where your iPhone 15 Pro mobile data is not working.
There are two ways to do this:
Update your phone wirelessly:
- Open Settings.
- Go into General.
- Select Software Update.
- If an update is available, tap Download and Install.
Update your phone using a computer:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using appropriate cable.
- Open Finder (if your computer is running macOS Catalina or later) or iTunes (if your computer is running an earlier version of the macOS software or if this is a Windows PC).
- Locate your iPhone and follow the onscreen instructions.
3. Turn off Wi-Fi calling
Some affected users have said that disabling Wi-Fi calling fixed the cellular data problem on their iPhones:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Phone.
- Tap Wi-Fi Calling.
- Turn off the Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone option. Test to see if the iPhone 15 Pro cellular data problem continues. If it does, you may want to turn this back on.
This may not be the fix you want. If turning off Wi-Fi calling fixes your iPhone 15 Pro cellular data issue, I recommend you periodically check the software update (see #2) and carrier settings update (see #5) to see if any update may fix this problem. If this is a widespread issue, probably Apple or the carrier will release an update for it.
4. Restart your iPhone 15 Pro to fix cellular data problems
There may be a a minor software bug causing cellular data problem on your iPhone 15 Pro. Restarting your iPhone may resolve your problem. Here is how you restart your iPhone.
- Press and hold the Side button and one of the volume buttons (up or down) until the power off screen appears.
- Drag the power off slider from left to right.
- Wait a few seconds for the device to turn off.
- Press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
5. Update carrier settings
Sometimes your carrier may release updates that are designed to improve your cellular data performance. So if your iPhone 15 Pro data is still not working, check to see if there is an update and if there is an update, update your carrier settings. Here is how:
- Make sure that your iPhone 15 Pro is connected to a Wi-Fi network since cellular data is not working.
- Open Settings.
- Go into General.
- Tap About.
- A popup will appear if there is an update available saying “Carrier Settings Update. New settings are available. Would you like to update them now?” Tap Update. If you do not see any popup messages, your settings are up to date.
6. Are you using VPN?
A VPN may cause cellular data connection problems. Turning off VPN may resolve your problem. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap VPN & Device Management.
- Tap VPN.
- Tap the(i) button next to the VPN profiles you have.
- Tap Delete VPN.
Now check if your problem is fixed.
7. Take out and readjust your SIM card
Similar to the perennial reboot advice you get from IT departments, it’s usually worth removing your SIM card and reinserting it again. Doing this effectively de- and reactivates the card, hopefully removing any issues that were preventing your iPhone 15 Pro cellular data from working.
If your iPhone 15 Pro has a physical SIM, eject it using the SIM card removal tool and carefully reposition it in its tray. Be careful when inserting it back into your device. Once you’re done, your cellular connection should be back to normal. If you see other SIM card issues, such as an “Invalid SIM” or “no SIM card Installed” error, it’s best to contact your network carrier and get a replacement SIM.
8. Reset your network settings
As with your SIM card, you can try resetting your network settings if your iPhone 15 Pro cellular data is not working. This clears your phone of any stored data that might potentially interfere with its functioning. Please note, resetting your network settings will erase your networking settings. For example, you will need to reenter your Wi-Fi passwords, etc. Here is how:
- Open Settings
- Go to General
- Scroll down and tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Select Reset.
- Choose Reset Network Settings and follow the onscreen instructions.
9. Move to a better location
Your surroundings can have a bigger impact than you think. If you have poor reception inside your home or office, but it drastically improves whenever you go outside, there’s a good chance the building is impeding your signal.
If you’re outside and still can’t get good reception, try moving away from tall buildings, trees, and anything else that could cause interference. If you’re in a rural area, try moving to a higher elevation. It’s also common that crowds such as concerts, music festivals, or even downtown areas with major events in town can create stress on the wireless towers, limiting signal and data speed on your iPhone 15.
10. Contact your cell carrier
If you’ve tried everything mentioned in this troubleshooting guide and nothing seemed to fix your iPhone 15 Pro cellular data not working issue, reach out to your carrier and ask if there are any coverage issues such as a downed tower or one under maintenance in your immediate area. Here are the customer support numbers of the major US providers:
- Verizon Wireless: 800-922-0204
- AT&T: 611 from an AT&T phone or 800-331-0500
- T-Mobile: 611 from a T-Mobile phone or 1-877-746-0909 from another phone
- U.S. Cellular: 611 from a UScellular phone or 1-888-944-9400 from another phone.