Is your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera not working? Check out our tips on the most common iPhone 12 Pro Max camera issues.
You wouldn’t buy a new smartphone if it didn’t have a camera on it. So what good is your iPhone 12 Pro Max when the camera isn’t working?
Here are the most common problems you might come across with your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera, along with everything you can do to fix them.
For your better understanding, we have listed some commonly faced iPhone 12 Pro Max camera problems below:
- iPhone 12 Pro Max camera not working
- iPhone 12 Pro Max camera not focusing
- iPhone 12 Pro Max Camera flash not working
- iPhone 12 Pro Max camera keeps freezing
- iPhone 12 Pro Max camera overheating
We understand it is so annoying to face such problems on a daily basis. That’s why we decided to toss up this troubleshooting guide on how to fix the camera app problems on iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Note: The following troubleshooting methods are useful in fixing camera app problems in various iOS devices as well.
See also: 7 Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Tips and Tricks
How to fix camera app problems on iPhone 12 Pro Max
1. iPhone 12 Pro Max Camera Shows a Black Screen
If you launch the Camera app and see a black screen, try the following steps to fix it:
- Make sure nothing is blocking the camera lens. You may have put the case on incorrectly or there may be something stuck to the back of your iPhone.
- Try using the official iPhone Camera app, rather than any third-party alternatives. This app is more reliable than the alternatives and more likely to work properly.
- In the Camera app, switch between the front and back cameras to see if both of them are working or not. To do this, tap the camera flip icon on the right side of the screen. If only one camera works, that might indicate a hardware problem.
- Restart the Camera app. To do so, swipe up to the middle of the screen. Then close the Camera app by sliding it off the top of the screen.
- Turn off your iPhone by holding the Side button (along with either Volume button), then drag the power off slider from left to right to power off. Wait 30 seconds before pressing the Side button again to restart your iPhone. If your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera shows black screen still, force restart your phone instead.
2. iPhone Photos Are Blurry or Out of Focus
If the photos you take with your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera are blurry or out of focus, try these fixes:
- Make sure both the front and back camera lenses are clean. Wipe away smudges or fingerprints using a dry microfiber cloth. If you see dirt or debris behind the glass, take your iPhone to an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider for a repair.
- Remove any metallic or magnetic iPhone cases and camera accessories. They can interfere with the optical image stabilization on your iPhone . This might explain why your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera isn’t working.
- If the Camera app says AE/AF Lock at the top of the screen, tap on a blank space to turn auto-focus back on. You may have accidentally locked the focus by tapping and holding in the Camera app.
- Keep your hand steady while tapping the shutter button. Sometimes it’s easier to press one of the Volume buttons to take steady pictures instead. Be careful in the dark when the shutter needs to stay open for longer.
3. iPhone 12 Pro Max Camera Flash Isn’t Working
Although most photos look better without a flash, sometimes you need that extra light for dark environments. When your iPhone 12 Pro Max flash isn’t working, try these fixes:
- Test the LED on your iPhone by turning on the flashlight from the Control Center. See this article if flashlight is not working on iPhone.
- Make sure you set the flash to On or Auto in the Camera app. To do this, tap the lightning bolt icon on the left side of the screen to see your flash options (you can’t use the flash for panoramic photographs or time-lapse videos).
- Be careful when using the flash for long videos or in hot environments. If your iPhone gets too hot, it might disable the flash entirely until it has cooled down again.
4. iPhone 12 Pro Max Photos Are Flipped the Wrong Way
This problem can often happen when you turn your iPhone horizontally to take a landscape-oriented photo. After snapping the picture, it flips back to portrait orientation in your photo library. Try these tips to fix it:
- Launch Control Center on your iPhone and tap the lock icon with a circle around it to turn off Rotation Lock. To open Control Center, swipe down from the top-right corner of your screen.
- Before snapping a photo, take a moment to make sure that the icons in the Camera app have rotated to their new horizontal orientation. If not, rotate your iPhone back and forth until they do so.
- You can always edit your pictures later from the Photos app, or other third-party iPhone image editing apps.
- If you’re wondering why your selfies always appear mirrored, that’s simply how Apple designed the front-facing camera. The camera works like a mirror, but the photo flips over as if someone took it for you.
5. The Camera App Is Missing or Keeps Freezing
If iPhone 12 Pro Max camera keeps freezing or if you can’t find the Camera app on your Home screen, it may be due to your iPhone restrictions. You can check this out from the Screen Time settings:
- Head to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Tap on Allowed Apps and type in your Screen Time passcode if you have one.
- Make sure you turn the Camera app on; the toggle should be green.
6. iPhone 12 Pro Max camera not focusing
If your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera is not focusing, try these fixes:
Restart the Camera App
The first and the easiest way of fixing iPhone 12 Pro Max camera that is not focusing is to restart the camera app. Sometimes, when the camera app has been in use for a long time it may show some error. So, to fix this you just need to close the camera app from the app switcher and wait for a minute or two before restarting the camera app again.
If there’s not any big issue with the iPhone camera app, it should be fixed just by restarting. If not, move onto the next solution to fix the iPhone 12 Pro Max camera not focusing problem.
Restart your iPhone:
- Press and hold both the volume down button and the Sleep/Wake button.
- When you see the Apple logo, release both buttons.
7. General iPhone 12 Pro Max Camera Software Fixes
If you experience any other oddities with your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera not working, it’s a good idea to try some general software troubleshooting tips. Test your iPhone camera again after each of the tips below.
- Close all the apps on your iPhone.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Update iOS by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This doesn’t delete any of your content—such as photos or apps—but it does reset all your iPhone settings.
- Finally, factory reset your iPhone and set it up as a new device. This erases everything and is the last resort, but should resolve any software issues that stop your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera from Working.
8. General iPhone 12 Pro Max Camera Hardware Fixes
If you’ve tried everything above and your front or back iPhone 12 Pro Max camera is still not working, you might have a hardware problem instead. Try the troubleshooting steps below to fix it:
- Double-check that the camera is not obstructed by a case or sticker.
- Make sure there are no smudges, dirt, or debris on the camera lens. Smudges and fingerprints should wipe away easily with a microfiber cloth.
- Contact Apple Support to arrange a hardware repair at the Apple Store or at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. If your iPhone is out of warranty, you may need to pay for this repair yourself.
See also: The Best iPhone Hacks, Tips & Tricks
iPhone 12 Pro Max camera issues: Fixed
These tips cover the most common reasons your iPhone 12 Pro Max camera might not be working. If you didn’t see your exact issue, hopefully the general tips helped you fix the camera anyway. Otherwise, you may need to speak to Apple support about a hardware repair.