Is your iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay not working? Are you unable to connect your iPhone 13 Pro to CarPlay? Does CarPlay suddenly stops working or keeps disconnecting after it is connected? Is your iPhone 13 Pro not Detected by CarPlay? Does CarPlay freeze and show a black screen? Lastly, are you experiencing CarPlay sound problem?
If The answer to any of the above questions is yes, we certainly feel your pain. There are a number of things you can try out if CarPlay is not working on your iPhone 13 Pro, none of which require any technical knowledge whatsoever. Each solution only takes a few minutes to complete, so you’ll be able to go through this entire list in no time.
We’ve listed a few of the most common fixes below, which should hopefully solve your iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay not working issue. Let’s get started.
What Is Apple CarPlay?
CarPlay is Apple’s standard that allows you to connect your iPhone to your car and display a simplified iOS-like interface on its infotainment system. This allows you to access certain apps for use in your vehicle. CarPlay makes good use of Siri, allowing you to issue commands and listen to media without taking your eyes off the road.
But what if your Apple CarPlay stops working on your iPhone 13 Pro? It could be CarPlay won’t connect, CarPlay apps won’t open properly, or you can’t hear anything when CarPlay is connected. The good news is you don’t necessarily have to go out and buy a brand new car. In most cases, you can fix iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay not working issue easily and quickly.
Why is iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay not working?
There are several explanations for why your iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay is not working. The most common ones are the following:
- Apple CarPlay isn’t compatible with your vehicle and/or unavailable in your country.
- There’s something wrong with your car or your phone’s Bluetooth connection.
- The USB cable is damaged.
- Your phone doesn’t have the newest iOS.
- The Apple CarPlay stereo does not detect your iPhone.
- Your phone is having app integration issues.
Ways to fix iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay not working issue
here is what to do if your iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay is not working properly.
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Before proceeding with any of the methods in this guide, make sure that your phone and your car’s infotainment system are both switched on. If they are and Apple CarPlay is still not working, try the following solutions:
1. Check Compatibility
Just because you have an iOS device and a car doesn’t mean you automatically have Apple CarPlay. Thus, the first thing you need to do when Apple CarPlay is not working on your iPhone 13 Pro is to check if the service is available in your region and if it’s compatible with your vehicle. Currently, Apple CarPlay is supported in these 36 countries:
Australia Germany Mexico Spain
Austria Hong Kong Netherlands Sweden
Belgium India New Zealand Switzerland
Brazil Ireland Norway Taiwan
Canada Israel Russia Thailand
Chile Italy Saudi Arabia Turkey
Denmark Japan Singapore United Kingdom
Finland Mainland China South Africa United Arab Emirates
France Malaysia South Korea United States
According to Apple, CarPlay is compatible with all major car manufacturers. That said, not every car model has this service built-in. For a full list of supported vehicles, you can check out the official Apple web page for Carplay.
Don’t fret if you don’t see your car on the list. If you want to use Apple CarPlay while you drive, you can just buy an aftermarket system from brands like Sony, JVC, and Pioneer.
2. Update Your iPhone’s OS
They’re easy to ignore, but OS updates are more vital to your phone’s performance than you might think. Besides fixes to security bugs, they also provide your iPhone with the drivers and software required to do its job effectively — and that includes connecting to and running Apple CarPlay. So, if your phone’s iOS version is not up to date, that’s probably the reason why your iPhone 13 Pro CarPlay is not working. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. If an update is available, tap Download and Install and follow the onscreen instructions.
3. Check Your iPhone’s Connection to Your Apple CarPlay Stereo
A faulty connection is also another possible reason why Apple CarPlay is not working on your iPhone 13 Pro. There are two ways to connect your phone to your Apple CarPlay Stereo: by using a cable and via Bluetooth. For those using a wired connection (whether it’s a lightning cable or a cable for your aftermarket system), check to see that the accessory isn’t frayed or damaged. If it is, try a different one and see if this solves the problem. Make sure to also check if the cable fits snugly into your stereo’s USB port. If loose, use a different port. Or better yet, try a new cable.
If your phone is connected to Apple CarPlay wirelessly, make sure that Airplane Mode is not enabled since this keeps your phone from receiving and sending wireless signals. Also, both Bluetooth and WiFi on your iPhone should be enabled. You can do so through your phone’s Control Center. Simply swipe down from the upper right of your screen and tap on the WiFi and Bluetooth icons so that they’re both blue.
While you’re at it, you might also want to disconnect from Bluetooth devices that you don’t use anymore. Here’s how:
- Head over to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Tap the ‘i’ icon next to the device you wish to remove.
- Press the Forget This Device option.
- Confirm the disconnection by tapping on Forget Device, which you’ll see at the bottom of your screen.
Although the chances of old connections interfering with Apple CarPlay are fairly low, it’s still a good idea to keep your Bluetooth connections clutter-free. That way, you can help your phone run more smoothly.
4. Enable Siri
You need to enable Siri to run Apple CarPlay. So, if you haven’t set up Siri, that might be the reason why Apple CarPlay is not working on your iPhone 13 Pro. To enable Siri on your iPhone, do the following:
- Open the Settings app.
- Select Siri & Search.
- Under “Ask Siri,” make sure these features are toggled on:
- Listen for “Hey Siri”
- Press Side Button for Siri
- Allow Siri When Locked
The first time you toggle on the Listen for “Hey Siri” feature, you’ll need to set up Siri to help the voice assistant recognize your voice. To set up Siri, here’s what you should do:
- Tap Continue when you see the Set Up “Hey Siri” screen.
- Say each command that appears on your screen into your phone.
- Tap on Done to complete the setup.
5. Allow Apple CarPlay While Your Phone Is Locked
Apple CarPlay might also not work because it’s disabled when your phone screen times out. To rectify this, simply allow Apple CarPlay even when your screen turns off and your phone is locked. Here is how you can do that:
- Press the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Head over to General.
- Pick CarPlay from the listed options.
- From the menu of available connections, look for your car, and then tap on it.
- Find the option labeled Allow CarPlay While Locked, then activate it.
6. Re-enable Apple CarPlay
Other settings and connections to your phone can sometimes interfere with your device’s connection to Apple CarPlay. When this happens, you can simply re-enable the service. Here’s how you can do that:
- Make sure your phone is linked to your vehicle (either through a cable or via Bluetooth).
- Select the Settings app from your iPhone’s dashboard.
- Access the General menu.
- Find and click CarPlay.
- Look for your car’s name on the list of available connections, then tap on it.
- Depending on the car model, there might be more steps to re-enable Apple CarPlay. Consult your vehicle’s manual for more instructions.
7. Ensure That Apple CarPlay Is Not Restricted
If Apple CarPlay can’t detect your iPhone 13 Pro, it might be because the service is restricted on your device. To ensure that CarPlay is unrestricted, follow these steps:
- Head over to your phone’s Settings app.
- Pick Screen Time from the clickable options.
- Access the Content & Privacy Restrictions menu.
- Hit the option labeled Allowed Apps.
- Make sure that the toggle next to CarPlay is switched on.
8. Turn Off USB Restricted Mode
USB Restricted Mode protects your iPhone from potential hackers who use lightning ports to get your passcode. However, enabling this feature can interfere with Apple CarPlay if you’re connected through a cable. To turn off USB Restricted Mode on your iPhone, proceed with these steps:
- Head over to your mobile phone’s Settings app.
- Choose Face ID & passcode.
- Provide your passcode if your device asks you to.
- Go to Allow Access When Locked, then toggle the USB Accessories slider. Once the latter is green, USB Restricted Mode is already deactivated.
If you want to keep your phone safe from potential hackers, you can always switch on USB Restricted Mode again when you’re not using Apple CarPlay.
9. Restart Your Vehicle and Your iPhone
If you can’t see the Apple CarPlay logo on your car’s display, then you can rectify the issue by trying this method. Sometimes, all you need to do is reboot your iPhone and restart your car if your Apple CarPlay is not working. This helps to fix whatever software glitch your phone and/or your infotainment system might be having.
- press and hold the side button and either of the volume buttons.
- Stop pressing once the Power Off slider is displayed on the screen.
- Swipe to the right the Power Off icon. It will take about 30 seconds for your gadget to switch off.
- Switch your phone on again by long-pressing the Power button for about 10 seconds. Stop when you see the Apple logo.
Once you’ve restarted both your iPhone and your car, connect to Apple CarPlay again and see if it’s now working.
10. Reset Your iPhone’s Settings
Changes in your phone’s system settings are another possible reason behind Apple CarPlay not working on iPhone 13 Pro. In such cases, you can remedy the issue by reconfiguring your iPhone’s settings. Take note, though, that doing so means that your Home Screen layout, keyboard dictionary, Apple Pay cards, privacy settings, location settings, and network settings will be removed or returned to their default settings. That said, the process doesn’t delete any of your data or media files.
To reset your iPhone’s settings, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Search for and press General.
- Tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap on Reset.
- Tap on Reset All Settings.
- Provide your passcode if your device requests it.
- Confirm the action by pressing Reset All Settings.
Once your phone is done reconfiguring all of the settings, wait for it to restart automatically. When it does, you’ll have to switch on WiFi, Bluetooth, and Siri to connect to Apple CarPlay again.
11. Disconnect and Set Up Apple CarPlay Again
Apple CarPlay not working on iPhone 13 Pro might also be caused by an error in how it was set up. If you have a hunch that this is the issue, you can unlink CarPlay then set it up again. Follow these steps:
Please go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car then choose Forget This Car.
Set up CarPlay again
If your iPhone supports wireless CarPlay, go to Settings > General > CarPlay. Tap Available cars and select your car.
If you’re using a wired connection, simply plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car and follow any on-screen prompts that appear.
12. Update the Firmware of Your Apple CarPlay Stereo
If you’ve tried the methods we listed above and Apple CarPlay is still not working on your iPhone 13 Pro, you might need to check if it’s your car stereo’s firmware that is at fault here. To ensure that Apple CarPlay is always up and running, you need to be using the most recent firmware from your vehicle’s manufacturer.
For instructions on how to update your CarPlay stereo’s firmware, consult your car’s manual or manufacturer.
13. Ask for Help from Apple Support
The last resort if Apple CarPlay is still not working on iPhone 13 Pro is to contact Apple Support for help. With Apple Support, you can choose to get assistance through chat, a phone call, or by going to the nearest Apple Authorized Service provider. Be sure to relay the problem clearly so that the team can provide you with the proper assistance.
Easy fixes for CarPlay not working on iPhone 13 Pro
Without a doubt, CarPlay is one of the best things that Apple has come up with. It lets you use your apps while driving without risking your safety. However, it can be worrisome to find out that Apple CarPlay is suddenly not working on your iPhone 13 Pro. Luckily, just as we showed you in this guide, there are numerous ways you can fix the issue.
We hope this article helped you fix whatever glitch you might be experiencing with Apple CarPlay. If you’ve tried a working method that isn’t in this guide, feel free to tell us about it in the comments section below!