Want to know how to spot fake iPhone 12? Scared of getting scammed? Look no further, as we’ve compiled the most comprehensive guide for how to identify a fake iPhone 12 and distinguish it from the original.
With such a huge market share, the “fake iPhone” market has become very lucrative for unscrupulous phone manufacturers. Some of the earlier iPhone knock-offs are so poorly done that it is easy to differentiate a fake iPhone from a genuine one. However, over time, some fake iPhones cloned so well that they are physically very similar to a genuine iPhone. From the size of the device, the buttons placement, the Apple logo, and other physical indicators of an original iPhone, some fake iPhones are really good imitations.
This guide will show you the difference between a fake iPhone 12 and a genuine one. Counterfeit iPhone 12 manufacturers often go a long way just to make their victims believe that what they are selling is the authenticated one. Attempts by law enforcers to expunge fake iPhones from the market have failed. So the only thing that can be done is to educate the public so they won’t fall victim and buy iPhone 12 clone from these devious manufacturers. This guide explains the fake vs real iPhone 12. If you are looking to purchase an iPhone 12 from the classified ad, or some other dealer that is not an Apple dealer, use this guide to determine if the phone you are buying is in fact a real iPhone.
How to Find Out if an iPhone 12 is Genuine or fake
There are three basic ways of checking if your iPhone 12 is a genuine or a fake one. We have grouped them into three indicators – physical, performance, and system indicators. Without any further ado, let’s jump into the fake vs real iPhone 12 guide.
Physical Indicators of a fake iPhone 12
You need to check on these physical signs to ensure that your iPhone 12 is the real one:
- Check for the screws: The original iPhone 12 uses the pentalobe security screw while the fake iPhone 12 uses the normal cross screws. The pentalobe security screw, from its name, has five lobes that provide a tamper-proof system for the iPhone. This is a perfect indicator for the consumer to ensure that they are purchasing an original iPhone 12.
- Check the physical buttons: Another physical quality to note is that on the real iPhone 12, the sleep/wake button is on the top right corner, while the volume switch and ringer switch are on the upper left side. If the switch or buttons are not where they should be, then the device you are looking at is a fake iPhone 12. Some fake iPhone 12 devices have the buttons in the right positions, however, feel the buttons by running your fingers on them. Press the buttons repeatedly to check if they are not loose and are improperly fitted. Clone iPhone 12 devices have poor button quality.
- Check the screen: The screen of original iPhone 12 should be clear and not pixelated. iPhone’s screen uses a retina display that has a higher pixel density making the screen look crispier, livelier, and full of colors. Fake iPhone 12 has dull colored screens due to the low-cost of their parts.
- Check for the Apple logo: This is one of the most reliable tell in our guide on how to spot fake iPhone 12. On the back of the iPhone, you must see an Apple logo. If you can’t find the logo, then it’s a fake iPhone 12. Some iPhone 12 clones are so good in imitating the original ones that they also have the logo at their back. However, you can rub your finger over the logo. You will feel a transition from the phone cover to the Apple logo if you are having a fake iPhone 12.
- Check the welcome screen: This is also a must, especially if you can’t distinguish the fake iPhone 12 to the original by looking at the physical features. Try to turn off then turn on the iPhone. A replica iPhone 12 will have a welcome screen, like the word “Welcome,” while the original one will show you the logo of the iPhone. On the home screen, you will find an iPhone store icon. Try to click on it. If it takes you to the Google store, then you know what to think.
- Check the font: Another thing that makes an iPhone 12 knock off really funny is when you try to check for the font on your messages, it gives you a Chinese character, so you have to configure your phone to enable English settings.
- Ask how many SIM cards can be used: When you check how many SIM cards run on an iPhone, a dealer of an iPhone 12 clone might proudly tell you that you can use two SIM card running at the same time. Then you will know you are getting a counterfeit fake dual SIM iPhone 12. The iPhone 12 can only use one SIM card. Additionally, an original iPhone 12 should bear a label that says it’s designed by Apple in California and assembled in China. Without this kind of mark, your iPhone is a clone.
Performance Indicators of counterfeit iPhone 12
The main reason why fake iPhones exist is that people want to get an iPhone at a cheaper price. With the cheaper price of the device comes the obvious poor performance of the phone. These are the obvious red flags:
- Camera quality: Real iPhone 12 has superior camera quality while an iPhone 12 clone take bad and blurry photos. A physically convincing iPhone with bad photos, regardless of the lighting conditions, is a possible fake iPhone 12. Try the other camera modes including video recording and see how bad does a counterfeit iPhone 12 take pictures and videos.
- Multi-tasking capabilities: Launch any game then leave it running in the background. Launch another app and check how the phone performs. Fake iPhone 12 have a hard time supporting two applications simultaneously. iPhones run smooth even if multiple applications are opened.
- Quickly scroll between application screens: Do a quick scroll to the left and right of the home screens. The knock off iPhone 12 will obviously lag down and won’t be able to keep up with your quick scrolls.
System Indicators of iPhone 12 clone
You can check these system indicators to distinguish a real iPhone 12 from a fake one:
- Look for the serial number: You can dial the code “*#06#” on your dialer to display your iPhone 12 serial number. On your iPhone, head over to “Settings,” tap “General,” and then tap on “About.” This will give you the serial number. You can then access the Apple website, where you can enter your iPhone serial number to see if it is a real iPhone 12. On the website, enter your hardware serial number. If the site says that the code is invalid, then your iPhone 12 is a clone.
- Check the memory capacity: The original iPhone 12 has a fixed storage capacity and cannot be expanded. The fake iPhone 12 require a memory card to expand its memory capacity. If you find a memory card slot at the back or the side of the phone, then start backing out because you are looking at an iPhone 12 clone.
- Check for Siri: The Siri application can only be launched on an original iPhone. Siri does not work at all on a replica iPhone 12.
- Try to check the operating system: If you see any application other than iOS, it is 100 percent an iPhone 12 clone. Apple uses proprietary iOS as its official operating system.
- Try to connect to iTunes: Connect your phone to a computer and try to run it with iTunes. If you are receiving an error, then it means iTunes does not recognize your phone; thus it is undetectable and fake.
- Check the built-in applications: The original iPhone 12 should have the built-in Apple applications, such as Calculator, Compass, Settings, Voice memos, Music, and Photos. If one of those is missing, the phone might be jailbroken. To be sure you have an original iPhone, try to restore the original firmware. If some built-in application is still missing after restoring the original firmware, then you know what it is — a clone iPhone 12.
Other tips to spot fake iPhone 12
- Ask about the warranty: Sellers of fake iPhone 12 will not give you a warranty to a certified iPhone service center.
- Pay attention to the price: If the device is being sold far cheaper than a regular iPhone’s suggested price, then think twice before buying the product. If the price is too good to be true, chances are, it’s a counterfeit iPhone 12.
- Take it to an iPhone store: If your phone passes all the tests mentioned above, but you still have doubts, go to the nearest iPhone store. Ask for their technician to check for your phone. They can run a diagnostic test to check for the authenticity of your device.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our real vs fake iPhone 12 comparison. Let us know if you’ve spotted any fake iPhone 12 and be careful when buying or trading online with these distinct feature differences!