Is the microphone on your iPhone 14 Pro Max not working as intended? Or, does your voice sound muffled during voice calls and video calls? There are several steps you can take if your iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone is not working. In this article, I’ll explain why your iPhone 14 Pro Max Microphone is not working and show you how to fix the problem for good.
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
If you are having one of the issues below, you may be having a microphone problem:
- Siri doesn’t hear or understand you.
- Dictate text doesn’t work when you are composing a text message.
- Recording a voice memo doesn’t work.
- People don’t hear you when you are on phone or FaceTime calls on your iPhone.
You may be having issues with the features above because they require the microphone to function properly. The microphone in your iPhone does a lot. It is essential to phone calls and FaceTime, of course, but in addition, many apps rely on the microphone to record audio or listen for commands. Siri needs the mic to hear you as well. If the microphone isn’t working at all — or the audio it’s capturing is muffled, fuzzy, or unclear — that can lead to a lot of frustration. Here are the most common methods you can employ to resolve problems with your iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone not working.
Why is your iPhone 14 Pro Max Microphone not working?
So why and how do iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone problems arise? Your mic can become distorted for a variety of reasons, with the most common being a dirty phone. If you aren’t someone who cleans their phone regularly, you might be surprised to see how much dirt gets built up.
Other common issues are related to software updates and third-party app installations. These tend to reconfigure or disable your mic without you realizing it. Your mic can also become damaged due to physical issues, such as internal malfunctioning or damaged hardware from mishandling your iPhone.
If you suspect that your iPhone 14 Pro Max mic might be broken or malfunctioning, it’s best to test it to make sure.
The easiest way to make sure your iPhone’s mic works is to record your voice and listen to the recording. You can easily tell if your voice sounds distorted to can help you ascertain the problem.
- To test the primary microphone, start the Voice Memos app from the iPhone home screen. Tap the Record icon to record your voice. Stop the recording and play it back. If you can’t hear your voice, this indicates the iPhone 14 Pro Max primary microphone is not working.
- To test the front microphone, start the Camera app from the iPhone home screen. Choose the Video option and toggle to selfie view, then tap the record icon to record your voice. Stop the recording. Go to the Photos app to play the video. If you can’t hear your voice, this indicates the iPhone 14 Pro Max front microphone is not working.
- To test the back microphone, start the Camera app from the iPhone home screen. Go to the Video option and tap the record icon to record your voice. (It should be in regular view.) Stop the recording. Go to the Photos app to play the video. If you can’t hear your voice, this indicates the iPhone 14 Pro Max back microphone is not working.
How to Fix iPhone 14 Pro Max Microphone Not Working Issue
If you’ve confirmed that your iPhone 14 Pro Max mic isn’t working properly, now you can set out to fix it. Since there are various reasons why your iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone may malfunction, let’s go through different ways to fix your problem.
1. Restart your iPhone
Sometimes the easiest solution is the best solution. Restarting your iPhone refreshes the iOS by clearing all processes and open apps. It can be a quick fix to your iPhone 14 Pro microphone problem.
To restart your iPhone, hold the Side and either of the volume buttons until the power off slider appears, then drag the slider. Leave it off for 30-60 seconds before turning it back on, then check to see if the problem is resolved.
2. Check for iOS Updates
If a quick restart doesn’t work, check for software updates, which is located under Settings > General > software update. A new software update usually fixes any bugs/errors that the current version may have, which could affect your iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone.
3. Remove iPhone’s Case
Some case manufacturers might not offer precise cutouts for iPhone 14 Pro Max microphones to function normally. Closely inspect the iPhone case you are using and check if the case is blocking microphone holes or not.
You can remove the case and record a video to check if the microphone is working or not.
4. Clean Your iPhone’s Microphone
If you don’t clean your iPhone every once in a while, dirt can build up in the small openings of your device, like the microphone port. Simply wiping your iPhone is not enough, as dust or other small debris can get packed in.
The iPhone 14 Pro Max has three microphones. Check the bottom, front, and back microphone openings to ensure these openings aren’t covered, blocked, or obstructed in any way.
Grab a small pin, thin needle, or similar and use it to gently clean your mic. The other alternative is to blow directly at it, to remove all the built-up debris. However, if you do this, be careful not to blow air further into the phone.
5. Unplug any accessories
Unplug all accessories (such as Bluetooth headsets, earbuds, and headphones) connected to the phone and use the microphone again to see if it works.
6. Restart communication apps
If the microphone doesn’t work with apps like WhatsApp, Zoom, FaceTime, and Skype, close the app and open it again.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the App Switcher.
- Find a communication app you wish to close and swipe up on it.
- Reopen the app and check to see if Microphone is working as expected.
7. Give apps microphone access
Apps like Zoom, Meet, and Teams will ask for microphone permission upon startup. If you have accidentally denied the permission, the app won’t be able to utilize the device’s microphone to function as expected. Make sure the app has permission to access the microphone. To do this, go to the iPhone Settings, select the respective app to view its settings, then make sure Microphone is switched On.
If giving permissions does not solve it, and if you are having microphone issues for specific apps, like Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, etc, it is possible that the app itself is faulty. If this is the case, there three two things you can try:
- Does this app have a microphone or sound settings? Check these settings and make sure that they are set correctly.
- Delete the app from your iPhone and then reinstall it.
- Contact the developer of the app.
8. Check if your iPhone is stuck on headphone mode
If you use wired earphones on your iPhone, in rare times, your phone may get stuck in headphone mode.
In this, even after you have unplugged the wired earphones, the iPhone still thinks they are connected to one and may assume to take audio input from those mics instead of its own.
Plug in a pair of headphones and unplug them again. This seems fairly obvious, but doing so could prompt your iPhone to recognize that the headphones have been unplugged this time, thereby taking it out of headphone mode.
9. Reset All Settings
Consider this to be your last resort, because it’s a nuisance. Try resetting your phone to its factory default settings and see if that resolves your iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone issues. To do this, head over to Settings > General > Transfer or reset iPhone > Reset and tap on “Reset All Settings”. Although this doesn’t wipe all the data or apps installed on your iPhone, it will remove all your saved Wi-Fi passwords.
10. Get help from Apple
If all else fails, there is a good chance your iPhone 14 Pro Max is having an hardware issue. Mics are delicate parts and can easily break from fall, water, or similar damage. In this scenario, it is best to take your iPhone to an authorized Apple technician who can determine the fault within your device.
iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone not working: Problem fixed!
There are various reasons your iPhone 14 Pro Max mic may not work properly. If you ever run into a problem, the methods above should help you identify and fix the issues with the iPhone 14 Pro Max mic.
The best way to avoid iPhone 14 Pro Max microphone issues from popping up in the future is to take good care of your device.
Leave a Comment