Is your iPhone 13 Pro microphone not working? Before you panic, you don’t need to rush to near Apple Store for a repair. There are several quick fixes that can get your microphone working perfectly in no time. Continue reading to learn about 10 tips to fix iPhone 13 Pro microphone problems.
Making phone calls is something we always do, so it can be very annoying when your iPhone 13 Pro microphone is not working. The first step to fixing the problem is identifying which of your iPhone 13 Pro three microphones is defective, then, you can take steps to troubleshoot the issue.
What’s the Cause of iPhone 13 Pro Microphone Issues?
Here are some reasons why the microphone is not working on iPhone 13 Pro:
- External devices: An external device such as headphones may be preventing the microphone from working properly.
- Network problems: Sometimes, the issue you are having with the microphone of your iPhone 13 Pro can be tied to network problems. If you are on a call and suddenly, the person you are talking to can’t hear you, then the problem may be caused due to network issue.
- Microphone obstruction: The microphone on your iPhone 13 Pro has openings and as time goes on, dirt particles can accumulate in the microphone thereby causing an obstruction. Also, you might have unknowingly placed your fingers on the microphone while you were on a call.
- Hardware damage: Your mic can also become damaged due to physical issues, such as internal malfunctioning or damaged hardware from mishandling your phone.
- Other common issues are related to software updates and external accessories. These tend to reconfigure or disable your mic without you realizing it.
Are you experiencing problems with the microphone on your iPhone 13 Pro? Then you can try out these methods to fix the microphone not working on your iPhone 13 Pro. We’ll first go through the procedure to first check whether the microphone on your iPhone 13 Pro is working properly or not. After that, we will guide you through various troubleshooting steps that will hopefully fix your iPhone 13 Pro microphone problems.
Test Your iPhone 13 Microphone
The iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max come with three microphones – one at the top, one at the rear and the third one at the bottom.
- To check your front microphone, start the camera app and record a video with the front camera. To check the rear microphone, do the same except using the back camera. When you play back either video, you should be able to hear yourself clearly in the video recordings.
- To check the bottom microphone, launch the voice memo app on your iPhone and start recording a voice note. End the recording and play it back. If you don’t hear your voice clearly, then this microphone is malfunctioning.
Fixes for Your iPhone 13 Pro Microphone Not Working
If you are having iPhone 13 Pro microphone issues, don’t panic just yet. There are number of simple steps you can follow to fix the problem in no time.
1. Restart your iPhone
When you find your iPhone 13 Pro microphone not working, the first thing you should do is to reboot your device. It could be a minor issue, so rebooting your device can help fix the iPhone 13 Pro microphone problem. You can do this by going to Settings > General > Shut Down.
2. Clean the microphone
Dirt particles can accumulate and easily clog the microphone of your device. Cleaning the microphone can help solve the iPhone 13 Pro microphone problems you are experiencing. You can clean your iPhone’s microphone using a clean toothbrush or an air compressor. But, be careful about the flow of the compressed air, keep it low otherwise it may damage the internals of your iPhone. Do not insert any sharp object into your iPhone’s microphone hole as that can end up damaging it permanently.
3. Disconnect Bluetooth Devices
This happens to me all the time. My wireless earbuds Funcl AI when sitting idle in the charging case, automatically turn on and connect to my iPhone. So, when I receive a call on my iPhone, the device sends it to the connected device and I can’t hear the other person. This can also happen to you if your iPhone is connected to an external Bluetooth speaker or to your car’s infotainment system.
It is always recommended that you manually disconnect Bluetooth devices from your iPhone in such scenarios from the control center to avoid such issues.
See also: How to Fix iPhone 13 Pro Bluetooth Problems
4. Make Sure Nothing is Covering Your iPhone’s Mic
The majority of people out there use third-party cases to protect their iPhones. The legit ones are fine but if you are using a cheap case from an unknown vendor then make sure the holes at the bottom of the case are precise with the ones on your iPhone. If the holes are not aligned, they will end up covering your iPhone’s microphone leading to quality issues with the microphone.
5. Turn off Noise Cancellation
iOS by default enables Noise cancellation to reduce ambient noise on phone calls when you are holding the receiver to your ear. While this works fine in most scenarios, it can end up muffling your voice if you are talking to someone while lying on the bed.
Launch the Settings app on your iPhone and navigate to Accessibility > Audio/Visual. Switch off Noise Cancellation toggle. Have a call with a friend and make sure the microphone is functioning properly. If it’s still malfunctioning then re-enable the feature and move to the next trick.
6. Enable Microphone Access for Third-Party Apps
Are you having problems with video calls on apps like FaceTime, Skype, or WhatsApp? Chances are, you haven’t enabled the permission for the microphone for these apps.
Head into iPhone Settings app > Privacy > Microphone, and enable microphone access to the relevant apps.
7. Hard Reset Your iPhone
When you notice that your iPhone 13 Pro microphone has stopped working, try rebooting your device. It could be a minor issue, so rebooting your device can help fix the microphone problem. Here’s how:
Press the volume up button first, followed by the volume down button, and then hold the side/power button until you see the Apple logo.
8. Update Your iPhone
If the microphone issue on your iPhone 13 Pro popped up after a recent iOS 15 update, you should update your device to the very latest release of iOS to see if that solves the issue or not.
Go to the iPhone Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest version of iOS on your device.
9. Reset All iPhone Settings
If your iPhone 13 Pro microphone is still not working properly after following all the above steps, then consider taking this as a last resort. You will have to reset your iPhone back to factory settings. It won’t wipe out any app or their data but the step will delete all saved Wi-Fi passwords.
Start the Settings app on your iPhone and go to General > Transfer or reset iPhone > Reset > and choose Reset All Settings option.
10. Contact Apple
If the above methods doesn’t fix the problem you are having with the microphone on your iPhone 13 Pro, then you need to take your device to the nearest Apple Store to get it repaired.
See also: 30 Best iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro Tips and Tricks
iPhone 13 Pro microphone not working: Fixed!
Follow the guide above step by step, and I’m sure you will have a fixed microphone on your iPhone 13 Pro. In case any of the steps above worked in solving your iPhone 13 Pro microphone issue, drop a comment and let us know about it!
Leave a Comment